What are the advantages of a container home over a traditional build?
- Structural integrity
- Fire, Earthquake and Hurricane resistant
- Minimal foundations, & suitable for timber piles so great for sloping sites
- Readily available and affordable
- Manufactured off site so minimises site disturbance & wastage
- Low lead time, home can be built at the same time as foundations
- Easily transported
- IQ Homes have Eco features built in as standard
What are the container dimensions?
- We only use “high cube” containers to allow for additional head height
- External dimensions are approximately 2440w x 2900h x 6050l (20’HC) or 12200l (40’HC)
- Internal dimensions of our units, once lined and insulated, approximate 2200w x 2440h x 5700l (20’HC) or 11800l (40’HC)
Do you use 2nd hand containers? If not why not?
- We use single trip containers, ie they have just made the one trip from China
- With 2nd hand containers there is no way of knowing what they have been used to transport throughout their life or what chemicals are lingering in the structure
- Dents, rust etc = more work & difficult to get consent / prove they are structurally sound and meet the minimum 50yr life expectancy required for building code
- New aren’t that much more expensive
- Steel by nature is a recycled product so still green
- Our Homes are fully kitted out in NZ
How do you insulate them? What is the R-value of insulation used?
- We use a special environmentally friendly form of closed cell polyurethane foam
- This provides a moisture barrier as condensation would prove an issue with traditional forms of insulation
- Superior R-value per square inch so interior space is maximised
- Insulation levels approx. 1.5 x building code requirements (Walls minimum R3, Ceiling minimum R4, Mammoth environmental choice certified 100% polyester insulation used for underfloor = R1.9)
Do they require consent? Any problems with getting consent?
- Any unit with “sanitary facilities” (sink or bathroom) or any unit >10m2 legally requires consent
- We have got several builds through the notoriously strict Auckland Council with no issues
- When purchasing one of our standard models we provide all the necessary paperwork to get through your local council (excluding site specific detail)
- We are in the process of partnering with reputable builders throughout the country so can offer clients a turn key solution
Can you custom build according to my ideas?
- Yes. There is an upfront fee for concept design to cover the time involved but this then goes towards your deposit if you decide to proceed (so is essentially refunded).
- Cost for official plans, engineering and build etc can be estimated once concept plan is finalised
- Alternatively we also offer a consultancy service on a cost+ basis. Please enquire for details
What are some of the eco features?
40’ models and larger feature:
- 1000L rainwater tank collects rain from roof for reuse in toilet and laundry saving around 45% of your water cost & assisting reduce storm water run-off at your site
- 2-3kw photovoltaic (solar) system, generates electricity to save on power bills. This is designed to be “grid connected” with excess power sold back to your power company for a credit
- Low VOC environmental choice certified paints used throughout
- LED lighting throughout
- Untreated Ply lining or 100% recyclable plasterboard
- Anti-Bacterial 100% recyclable PVC flooring
- Double glazed aluminium windows and doors with thermally broken or UPVC joinery upgrade available
- Superior Insulation approx. 50% higher than Building Code requirements
- Dual flush toilet and water efficient tapware and appliances
- Exterior vents in bathroom and kitchen
- Energy star certified dish drawer
- Our show home has achieved an 8 Homestar rating
How much do they cost? What is included in the price?
- An info brochure with indicative pricing on our standard models can be downloaded here: IQ Container Homes – Info Brochure inc Pricing
- Pricing for our 40’+ homes is inclusive of 2-3kw solar system, 1000L rainwater recycling system plumbed to your main toilet and laundry, full fitout including superior insulation, ply or plaster lining, double glazed aluminium windows and doors, LED lights, bathroom as indicated on plans, wardrobe systems, PVC flooring, kitchen cabinetry and composite stone bench-top, water efficient tapware, fixed kitchen appliances (fisher & paykel oven, dishwasher, hob & rangehood). Pre-wired and plumbed ready for connecting to your site services.
For designs incorporating more than one unit, price also includes an allowance for joining of units onsite and external roof supply and install. Depending on your location we may need to charge addition for travel and accommodation for our team to complete this.
- Pricing excludes consents if required, delivery and site works such as foundations, connection to services and any decking/landscaping required. (These additional costs are difficult to quote on as they are largely site specific). It also excludes furniture, curtains/blinds and non-fixed appliances (fridge, washing machine, TV etc) which we can also source and supply if desired
Where are you based? Can I visit a show home?
- We are based in Auckland, NZ but have the ability to manufacture in Christchurch for South Island clients and will shortly be in a position to manufacture in Taupo also to better service our central and lower north island clients.
- We have a display home located at 19 Rauhuia Cres, Parau, Waitakere, Auckland with viewing available on the first Saturday of every month between 10am-12pm
- We can deliver our homes nationwide and they can even be exported if required
How do you differ from other container home suppliers?
Beware of cheap imitations, not all container homes are created equal!
- We only use new Corten Steel containers. Corten steel is an incredibly durable form of weathering steel that exhibits increased resistance to atmospheric corrosion compared to other steels, essential in our NZ environment.
- We use a quality Codemark certified form of closed cell polyeurathane insulation. Creating a moisture barrier preventing condensation, essential for the health and longevity of your home.
- We construct our IQ models in NZ using NZ qualified builders and contractors to ensure quality is maintained and compliance achieved. You can opt to be covered by an additional Master Builders guarantee also
- We provide regular updates & pictures as your project progresses so you are kept informed. You are also welcome to visit your build in person with prior arrangement.
- Payment terms are staggered as your build progresses, you do not need to pay the full amount up front
- The eco-features as outlined above reduce your running costs and provide a more affordable home over its life
- Container companies come and go, we have 5 years experience in servicing NZ with quality container builds. We keep our operations small and sustainable so we’ll be around for many years to come!