What are the advantages of a container home over a traditional build?
- Structural integrity
- Fire, Earthquake and Hurricane resistant
- Minimal foundations, & suitable for timber piles so great for sloping sites
- Manufactured off site so minimises site disturbance & wastage
- Lower lead time, home can be built at the same time as foundations
- Easily and affordably transported
- IQ Homes use sustainable methods and materials
What are the container dimensions?
- We only use “high cube” containers to allow for additional head height
- External dimensions are approximately 2440w x 2900h x 6050l (20’HC) or 12200l (40’HC)
- Internal dimensions of our units, once lined and insulated, approximate 2200w x 2440h x 5700l (20’HC) or 11800l (40’HC)
Do you use 2nd hand containers? If not why not?
- We use single trip containers, ie they have just made the one trip from China
- With 2nd hand containers there is no way of knowing what they have been used to transport throughout their life or what chemicals are lingering in the structure
- Dents, rust etc requires more work and can prove difficult to get consent and verify they are structurally sound and meet the minimum 50yr life expectancy required for building code
- New are not that much more expensive
- Steel by nature is a recyclable product so is still green
- Our Homes are fully kitted out in NZ
How do you insulate them? What is the R-value of insulation used?
- We use a special environmentally friendly form of closed cell polyurethane foam
- This provides a moisture barrier as condensation would prove an issue with traditional forms of insulation
- Superior R-value per square inch so interior space is maximised
- Insulation levels approx. 1.5 x building code requirements (Walls minimum R3, Ceiling minimum R4, Mammoth environmental choice certified 100% polyester insulation used for underfloor = R1.9)
Do they require consent? Any problems with getting consent?
- Any unit with “sanitary facilities” (sink or bathroom) or any unit >10m2 legally requires consent
- We have got several builds through the notoriously strict Auckland Council with no issues
- When purchasing one of our standard models we provide all the necessary paperwork to get through your local council (excluding site specific detail) or we can handle this entire process for you with a “Turn-Key” build option in most areas
Can you custom build according to my ideas?
- Yes. There is an upfront fee for concept design to cover the time involved but this then goes towards your deposit if you decide to proceed (so is essentially refunded).
- Cost for official plans, engineering and build etc can be estimated once concept plan is finalised
How much do they cost? What is included in the price?
- An info brochure with indicative pricing on our standard models can be downloaded here: IQ Container Homes – Info Brochure inc Pricing
- Pricing is inclusive of full fitout including superior insulation levels, painted ply or plasterboard lining, double glazed aluminium windows and doors, LED lights, bathroom as indicated on plans inc tile look lining, wardrobe storage systems, PVC flooring, kitchen cabinetry and composite stone bench-top, water efficient tapware, fixed kitchen appliances (fisher & paykel oven, dishwasher, hob & rangehood). Pre-wired and plumbed ready for connecting to your site services.
For designs incorporating more than one unit, price also includes an allowance for joining of units onsite and external roof supply and install. Depending on your location we may need to charge addition for travel and accommodation for our team to complete this.
- Pricing excludes consents if required, delivery and site works such as earthworks, foundations, connection to (or provision of) site services and any decking/landscaping required. These additional costs are difficult to quote on as they are largely site specific however for a small fee we can visit your site if practical, assess your requirements and provide an estimate. Price also excludes furniture, curtains/blinds and non-fixed appliances (fridge, washing machine, TV etc) which we can also source and supply if desired
Where are you based? Can I visit a show home?
- We can deliver our homes nationwide and they can even be exported if required
- We construct in Auckland and we have show homes in West Auckland and Taupo
- We also have a contractor who manufactures in Christchurch for South Island clients
- Our Auckland display home is located at 19 Rauhuia Cres, Parau, Waitakere with viewing available on the first Saturday of every month between 10am-12pm
- Our Taupo display home is located at 24 Brunette Drive, Acacia bay with viewing by appointment
How do you differ from other container home suppliers?
Beware of cheap imitations, not all container homes are created equal!
- We construct our IQ models in NZ using NZ qualified builders and contractors to ensure quality is maintained and compliance achieved
- You will have a dedicated project manager. We provide regular updates & pictures as your project progresses so you are kept informed. You are also welcome to visit your build in person with prior arrangement
- We pride ourselves on high end, quality fit outs. The likes of stone kitchen bench-top is standard and you have a choice of colours and finishes
- We only use new Corten Steel containers and coat with a specialist industrial paint. Corten steel is an incredibly durable form of weathering steel that exhibits increased resistance to atmospheric corrosion compared to other steels, essential in our NZ environment
- We use a quality Codemark certified form of closed cell polyeurathane insulation. Creating a moisture barrier preventing condensation, essential for the health and longevity of your home
- Payment terms are staggered as your build progresses, you do not need to pay the full amount up front
- Experience in eco-fitouts with our Auckland Show home achieving a 8 Homestar rating
- Ability to design and construct to Homestar and Lifemark standards
- Container companies come and go, we have over 8 years experience in servicing NZ with quality container builds. We have a proven track record as can be seen from our builds in the gallery section and our client testimonials. We keep our operations small and sustainable so we’ll be around for many years to come!