What are the advantages of a container home over a traditional build?
- Structural integrity
- Fire, Earthquake and Hurricane resistant
- Minimal foundations, & suitable for timber piles so great for sloping sites
- Readily available and affordable
- Manufactured off site so minimises site disturbance & wastage
- Low lead time, home can be built at the same time as foundations
- Easily transported
- IQ Homes have Eco features built in as standard
Do you use 2nd hand containers? If not why not?
- We use single trip containers, ie they have just made the one trip from China
- With 2nd hand containers there is no way of knowing what they have been used to transport throughout their life or what chemicals are lingering in the structure
- Dents, rust etc = more work & difficult to get consent / prove they are structurally sound and meet the minimum 50yr life expectancy required for building code
- New aren’t that much more expensive
- Steel by nature is a recycled product so still green
- Our Homes are fully kitted out in NZ
How do you insulate them? What is the R-value of insulation used?
- We use a special environmentally friendly form of closed cell polyurethane foam
- This provides a moisture barrier as condensation would prove an issue with traditional forms of insulation
- Superior R-value per square inch so interior space is maximised
- Insulation levels approx. 1.5 x building code requirements (Walls minimum R3, Ceiling minimum R4, Mammoth environmental choice certified 100% polyester insulation used for underfloor = R1.9)
Do they require consent? Any problems with getting consent?
- Any unit with “sanitary facilities” (sink or bathroom) or any unit >10m2 legally requires consent
- We have got several builds through the notoriously strict Auckland Council with no issues
- When purchasing one of our standard models we provide all the necessary paperwork to get through your local council (excluding site specific detail)
- We are in the process of applying for a multi-proof consent which will assist the consenting process
- We are in the process of partnering with reputable builders throughout the country so can offer clients a turn key solution
Can you custom build according to my ideas?
- We specialise in small homes, specifically our standard layouts or minor variations to these
- It is very difficult to quote on larger more complex designs as there are too many unknowns
- For assistance with custom designs we offer a consultancy service on a cost+ basis. Please enquire for details
What are some of the eco features?
40’ models and larger feature:
- 1000L rainwater tank collects rain from roof for reuse in toilet and laundry saving around 45% of your water cost & assisting reduce storm water run-off at your site
- 2-3kw photovoltaic (solar) system, generates electricity to save on power bills. This is designed to be “grid connected” with excess power sold back to your power company for a credit
- Low VOC environmental choice certified paints used throughout
- LED lighting throughout
- Untreated Ply lining
- Anti-Bacterial 100% recyclable PVC flooring
- Double glazed aluminium windows and doors with UPVC upgrade available
- Superior Insulation approx. 50% higher than Building Code requirements
- Dual flush toilet and water efficient tapware and appliances
- Exterior vents in bathroom and kitchen
- Energy star certified dish drawer
- Our show home has achieved an 8 Homestar
How much do they cost? What is included in the price?
- An info brochure with indicative pricing on our standard models can be downloaded here: IQ Container Homes – Info Brochure inc Pricing
- Pricing for our 40’+ homes is inclusive of 2-3kw solar system, 1000L rainwater recycling system plumbed to your main toilet and laundry, full fitout including superior insulation, ply lining, double glazed aluminium windows and doors, LED lights, bathroom as indicated on plans, wardrobe systems, PVC flooring, kitchen cabinetry and composite stone bench-top, water efficient tapware, fixed kitchen appliances (fisher & paykel oven, dishwasher, hob & rangehood). Pre-wired and plumbed ready for connecting to your site services.
For designs incorporating more than one unit, price also includes an allowance for joining of units onsite and external roof supply and install. Depending on your location we may need to charge addition for travel and accommodation for our team to complete this.
- Pricing excludes consents if required, delivery and site works such as foundations, connection to services and any decking/landscaping required. (These additional costs are difficult to quote on as they are largely site specific). It also excludes furniture, curtains/blinds and non-fixed appliances (fridge, washing machine, TV etc) which we can also source and supply if desired
Where are you based? Can I visit a show home?
- We are based in Auckland, NZ but have the ability to manufacture in Christchurch for South Island clients
- We have a display home located in Parau, Waitakere, Auckland with viewing by appointment
- We can deliver our homes nationwide and they can even be exported if required