What are the advantages of a container home over a traditional build?
- Structural integrity
- Fire, Earthquake and Hurricane resistant
- Minimal foundations, & suitable for timber piles so great for sloping sites
- Manufactured off site so minimises site disturbance & wastage
- Lower lead time, home can be built at the same time as foundations
- Easily and affordably transported
- IQ Homes use sustainable methods and materials
What are the container dimensions?
- We recommend using “high cube” containers to allow for additional head height
- External dimensions are approximately 2440w x 2900h x 6050l (20’HC) or 12200l (40’HC)
- Internal dimensions, once lined and insulated, approximate 2200w x 2440h x 5700l (20’HC) or 11800l (40’HC)
Can I use 2nd hand containers? If not why not?
- We recommend only using single trip containers, ie they have just made the one trip from China
- With 2nd hand containers there is no way of knowing what they have been used to transport throughout their life or what chemicals are lingering in the structure
- Dents, rust etc requires more work and can prove difficult to get consent and verify they are structurally sound and meet the minimum 50yr life expectancy required for building code
- New are not that much more expensive
- Steel by nature is a recyclable product so is still green
How do you insulate them? What is the R-value of insulation used?
- We recommend a special environmentally friendly form of closed cell polyurethane foam
- This provides a moisture barrier as condensation would prove an issue with traditional forms of insulation
- Superior R-value per square inch so interior space is maximised
- We specify Insulation levels approx. 1.5 x building code requirements (Walls minimum R3, Ceiling minimum R4, Mammoth environmental choice certified 100% polyester insulation used for underfloor = R1.9)
Do they require consent? Any problems with getting consent?
- According to the NZ building code, any unit with “sanitary facilities” (sink or bathroom) or any unit >10m2 (soon to be increased to 30m2) legally requires building consent
- We have got several builds through the notoriously strict Auckland Council with no issues
- Given our experience in answering the curve balls councils often throw, we recommend you engage us to handle the entire consenting process for you
Can you design according to my ideas?
- Yes. There is an upfront fee for custom concept designs to cover the time involved
- Cost for official plans, engineering etc can be estimated once a concept plan and project brief is finalised
How much do they cost? What is included in the price?
- An info brochure with indicative pricing / RRP on our standard models can be downloaded here: IQ Container Homes – Info Brochure inc Pricing
- Price indication is inclusive of full fitout including superior insulation levels, painted ply or plasterboard lining, double glazed aluminium windows and doors, LED lights, bathroom, wardrobes, PVC flooring, kitchen cabinetry and composite stone bench-top, water efficient tapware, fixed kitchen appliances (fisher & paykel oven, dishwasher, hob & rangehood). Pre-wired and plumbed ready for connecting to your site services.
For designs incorporating more than one unit, price also includes an allowance for joining of units onsite and external roof supply and install.
- Pricing indication excludes consents if required, delivery, travel and site works such as earthworks, foundations, connection to (or provision of) site services and any decking/landscaping required.
Where are you based? Can I visit a show home?
- You are welcome to visit my personal container home in Acacia bay, Taupo. Viewing is by appointment, please contact me to arrange a suitable time
How do you differ from other container home suppliers?
Beware of cheap imitations, not all container homes are created equal!
- We offer a design only service, handling the consenting side of things on your behalf allowing you to employ your own project manager and tradespeope for the construction
- We specify new Corten Steel containers and coat with a specialist industrial paint. Corten steel is an incredibly durable form of weathering steel that exhibits increased resistance to atmospheric corrosion compared to other steels, essential in our NZ environment
- We specify a quality Codemark certified form of closed cell polyurethane insulation. Creating a moisture barrier preventing condensation, essential for the health and longevity of your home
- We have experience in eco-fitouts with our Auckland Show home achieving a 8 Homestar rating
- We can design to Homestar and Lifemark standards
- Container companies come and go, we have over 8 years experience in servicing NZ with quality container builds. We have a proven track record as can be seen from our builds in the gallery section and our client testimonials. We keep our operations small and sustainable so we’ll be around for many years to come!